The Arenella is a district of Naples, part of the Fifth Municipality of the municipality, with the district of Vomero. The Arenella is limited to the south by the Vomero, to the west by the Soccavo district, to the north by Chiaiano and also a little by the San Carlo all’Arena district, to the east it borders the Stella, Avvocata, and , only a few meters away, in the Montecalvario district. The neighborhood is located at an altitude of more than 300 meters (and 465 meters to the top of the hill of the Camaldules). It had more than 72,000 inhabitants in 2015.
Teodoro Duclère – Naples view of the Conocchia (view of the Aminei hills and the Arenella)
The origin of this name is said to be related to the fact that in Greek times the Parthenopean city, there was a small arena-shaped square at this location (near the current piazza Muzij), where the days were held. markets and where major civil and religious demonstrations took place.
This area of hills (along with Arenella Hill) was still rural in the early 20th century.
Remarkable monuments and places
The church of the Archconfraternity of Santa Maria del Soccorso all’Arenella.
It was near the piazzetta Arenella, in a small area of houses surrounding the church of Santa Maria del Soccorso all’Arenella (1607), that was the birthplace of the painter Salvator Rosa, an old farm, on the wall of which a commemorative plaque was affixed on October 20, 1876; but in 1938, the old building was destroyed with old houses around it, in order to clean up the neighborhood and expand the Arenella district, while building new buildings1. In February 1933, a bronze statue of the artist was erected in Piazza Arenella, on the model of an Achilles statue of Orsi from 1871. It has been in the middle of Piazza Francesco Muzii since 1963 , very close to the piazzetta Arenella.
In addition to the church of Santa Maria del Soccorso, around which the houses of the village were originally grouped, the area includes the church of the Archconfraternity of Santa Maria del Soccorso all’Arenella, built in 1704, the church of Santa Maria della Provvidenza, built in 1794 and the church Sant’Anna all’Arenella, built in 1900, as the place sees flows of new inhabitants. In the first half of the twentieth century, the Arenella experienced a huge demographic “boom”. The parish complex of Santa Maria della Rotonda and the new Cangiani chapel date from this period of frantic construction.
One of the two statues dedicated to Totò and inaugurated on April 17, 1999, in the Rione Alto area, can also be seen in the neighborhood.
The Arenella also has a large hospital area with the University Polyclinic and the Faculty of Medicine, Pharmacy and Biotechnology of the Frederick II University of Naples, as well as the Antonio Cardarelli Hospital, the Pascale Hospital, the Cotugno Hospital, and Monaldi Hospital. The Tigem National Research Council (CNR) research center (Istituto Telethon di Genetica e Medicina) is also located in Arenella.
The urban park of the Camaldules (on the hill of the Camaldules) is a privileged place of walk of the inhabitants of the district.
This article about Naples was translated from the French wiki entry at https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arenella_(Naples) available under the Creative Commons License. It seems to have created a reasonably good readable copy, in fact better and with more content than the corresponding English article on the real Wikipedia.